Saturday, July 31, 2010

Camp, Here We Come!

I awoke at 6AM today to the sound of Andrew was yelling, "Mom! Mom!" Of course, I thought something was really wrong. I entered his room, and he proudly exclaimed, "Today is my last day before camp!" He was so excited he just couldn't sleep. Simply wonderful!

Tomorrow morning, also around 6AM, my husband and I will take Andrew to The Southampton Fresh Air Home. For the sixth year in a row, he'll participate in a fabulous sleepaway camp experience that provides incredible independence and social opportunities for him -- and gives us a chance to rest and relax, in anticipation of the coming school year. Earlier this summer, we feared Andrew might miss camp because of his complicated orthopedic surgery to correct scoliosis. Simply not so. In fact, the camp director instilled great confidence when he said they have lots of experience with kids who are recovering from spinal fusion surgery. How terrific is that? Check out my earlier post about selecting a camp for children with special needs. There are plenty of good ones out there just waiting to be explored.

For now, we're thrilled that Andrew has found a special place that's all his. No parents or siblings required to accompany him. He advocates for himself. Gets his needs met. Makes new friends. Explores his ever-changing world. Just thinking about it makes me excited, too. But I still wish he'd let me sleep in this morning!

3 comments:

AJ Murphy said...

These camps for our kids are truly a miracle. Mason, 6 years old, just came back from a week at Camp for Courageous Kids in Scottsville KY. It was Mason's first time spending more than a night away from us. This week was specific to kids with CP and other neuro muscular conditions.
When I picked him up at the end of the stay, he saw me, squeeled with excitement and his first words were, "can I come back next year?"
Imagine a 6' 2" guy welling up with tears in his eyes. That was me.
AJ

Kris Burbank said...

I love envisioning this, AJ. Thx for sharing. Andrew returned from his camp last weekend and was filled with good fun and stories about why he loves it so much. Such independence. So glad your six year old is equally thrilled with his camp stay.

Kris Burbank said...

I love envisioning this, AJ. Thx for sharing. Andrew returned from his camp last weekend and was filled with good fun and stories about why he loves it so much. Such independence. So glad your six year old is equally thrilled with his camp stay.