Monday, February 15, 2010

Oh Canada!


Like many families across the globe, ours tuned into the Olympic Games last night. We anxiously awaited the outcome of the Mens Freestyle Skiing. I was a fan of the cute, rich and mysterious Canadian-turned-Australian, Dale Begg-Smith. But then everything changed. I watched Alexandre Bilodeau move flawlessly through the course and await his score. I watched the camera pan the crowd, and even commented to our son, Andrew, "look, that man seems to have cerebral palsy," referring to someone in the crowd watching the competition. Behold, Bilodeau wins the gold medal and dedicates it to his brother, Frederic, who has struggled with CP for decades and inspired him in countless ways. What a victory for so many people. What a special moment for these brothers.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

I was also watching and noticed the skier's brother in the crowd before I knew his story. Made me think about how quickly I spot another family "like us" when we're out in the world. It is comforting and validating, and I know to Will it is much more so. Lovely feature story about "the brothers" last night.

Jyl said...

Funny how things happen....glad i didnt have a hot water heater so i could watch the story on Alexandre Bilodeau with you.....what a beautiful story....his enthusiasm for his brother reminds me of the enthusiasm your kids have for andrew.

Anonymous said...

Thx for commenting guys. Hugs to you and yours from me and mine. Great to be inspired, isn't it?

Kris Burbank said...

anonymous was kris!

ejf320 said...

Kris - see if you can find the piece that NBC ran on Sunday evening that interviewed the skiier and his brother together. It was amazing and I think all of your children would relate.

Kris Burbank said...

i'm going to do this ASAP. Thx for the suggestion. It's really a heartwarming spotlight on sibiling relationships. Thx for commenting.

Kris Burbank said...

I've scoured the internet, but can't post the piece just yet on the Bilodeau Brothers. Seems NBC won't feature it on their Olympics website, because the footage is owned by Canadian Television (CTV). CTV won't let me access it here in the US, because they don't have the rights to broadcast it outside of Canada (only NBC does). The adventure continues. Will keep trying, I promise. Agree it is an important story for people to experience.