Monday, September 15, 2008

Finding Balance

I'm feeling old today.  Body aches.  Head hurts.  Everyone needs something from me, and I'm tired of giving.  But tomorrow is a new day.  And if I can just find a way to balance the needs of my family with my own needs...well, life will be grand, right?  

Doing so is difficult in even the most "typical" of families.  In ours, however, finding this kind of balance is often impossible.  Our son, Andrew's, needs outnumber everyone else's and there just aren't enough hours in the day to learn everything I want to in order to be the best mother, teacher, advocate and friend that he deserves.  

If you find yourself in a similar situation, I hope you'll avail yourself to my blog.  Over the next several weeks, my goal is to post information our family has gleaned over the years on a variety of issues related to Andrew's disabilities (and abilities!).  With input from my family (including Andrew), I'll share thoughts, advice and resources on a variety of subjects, including: accessible travel, toileting, caregivers, equipment, therapies, school, community involvement, friendship, financial planning, and just good old family fun.  

Hopefully, by conversing with you about these things and more, I'll learn as much from this blog as the people who access it do.  With any luck, we'll achieve balance together -- no matter how long it takes.  Fasten your seat belts...  

No comments: